The Gunn Family

The Gunn Family

Monday, October 6, 2008

Salsa Baby!!



Well after two long days of making salsa and an extremely messy kitchen I finally have salsa. I did it all by myself on day one and on day two my friend Tressa came and helped. I don't think she knew what she was getting into. We had four kids who were very bored I'm sure but in the end they were troopers. I really did feel like my Kitchen threw up tomatos!!!! It was worth it all in the end and I couldn't have done it without Tressa and of course our taste tester Amy.


Salsa


12lbs Tomatos

1/2 a can Tomato paste (12oz)

1/4 bunch of Cilantro

8 Jalopenos

1 Head of Garlic

3 lg Green Peppers

3 lg Onions

1/2 cup White Vinegar

1/4 cup Brown Sugar

1/4 cup + 2 TBLS Corn Starch

1/2 cup Water

1/4 cup + 1 tsp. Salt


Core and peel tomatos. Chop as much as desired, tomatos will get smaller as they cook. Boil tomatos and tomato paste for 1 hour stir occasionally. While the tomatos boil chop all your remaining ingredients. Next add remaining ingredients minus corn starch and water. Cook for 15 mins. Mix your corn starch and water together then add rue to the pot and cook until desired thickness. Then fill your jars and can them (boil) for 45 mins for quarts and 35 mins for pints or smaller. ENJOY!!!

3 comments:

Brandi said...

Mmmm! Traci, if you need to get rid of a jar or two, I'll gladly take some off of your hands. My husband talked me out of making salsa. He thought there was no way we'd use it all and that it would cost too much up front. Maybe if he tasted yours he'd change his mind!

How are you doing, by the way? I can't believe you were able to update your blog. You must be recovering quickly! I hope so!

Traci Gunn said...

Hey Brandi, I'm sorry to hear Eric was a no go for you making salsa. That really is too bad, he needs to give it a chance because it is so worth it. If you would like a jar I am sure I can part with one, maybe that will help convince him for next year.

I thought I was recovering really well, until Monday night. It was my first day home alone with the kids and I really over did it. Monday night I was so sore and sick from the pain it was awful.

Krystal said...

Hi, I'm Amber Smith's sister and she told me to check your blog since I am wanting to make my own salsa. So, do you have any tips? I'm wondering what "rue" is? And is it really necessary to peel the tomatoes? I'm really excited to try doing this, so thanks in advance for your help!